Our candles are carefully hand poured in Oxfordshire to provide you with hours and hours of fragrance bliss. To keep them looking and burning their best, follow our tips below.
How to burn your candle
1. Trim wicks to 5mm and light your candle in a well-ventilated room, away from direct drafts which can cause black marks on the vessel, or rapid, uneven burning.
2. Burn candles for no more than 4 hours at a time or until the wax has pooled to the edges. Burning for less time can leave a build-up of wax around the vessel's sides and can reduce the maximum burn time. Burning for longer periods can cause the wick to move, or slant and causes high flames which can blacken the candle jar.
3. Make sure you stop burning your candle when 10mm of wax remains at the bottom, keeping an eye on a burning candle when the wax is low.
What about the wick?
1. Keep the top of your candle clear of wick trimmings and matches.
2. After putting out your candle, centre and straighten the wicks. Burning for too long can cause the wick to move, so if you see a flaming wick come close to the side, extinguish the flame and straighten the wick to prevent the vessel from cracking.
3. Long wicks can create high flames, smoking, or sooting. Trimming the wick to 5mm (when the wax has set) following every burn is the easiest way to prevent this.
How to care for sculptural & pillar candles
1. These candles are designed to tunnel, which means the wax melts down the centre of the candle. We advise lighting them on top of a candle plate.
2. Keep away from external sources of heat, as this can melt the outer shell of wax and cause dips for the inner core to spill out of.
3. These candles are delicate and all the above candle care – including burn length, trimming of wicks and storage – should be followed.
How to store your candles
1. Avoid spraying household products, or home spray in the air, or on surfaces near the candle. When your candle isn't in use, store in a cool dry place.
2. Condensation on the surface of a candle is a sign it has not been stored correctly, or has been stored for too long. Make sure to wipe this away with a paper towel before lighting.
3. Storing candles for too long can affect the scent, so use your candle in a reasonable time to make the most of its beautiful fragrance. We like to burn ours within 24 months of purchase.
If you have any further questions about caring for your candles, please get in touch.